Skip to main content

Intranet incentives



My Edmonds cookbook
The following is one of the many ways of "influencing" those you need on side to do intranets well!
It is also great for those folks that help you out with paper prototyping and usability studies, I bake mine in muffin tins so that I can give each participant one.

Edmond's Banana Cake (Page 18, of my book)
Add the ingredients to a bowl in the order listed, mixing constantly
125g (4oz) butter (soft, or part melted)
175g (6oz) white sugar
cream together
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas (we put brown ones from the fruit bowl in the freezer until you need them and then use those)
mix ingredients

Put two tablespoons of full fat milk in a cup and boil in the microwave. Add 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. Mix till mixture is frothy.

Add frothy bicarb/milk to the main bowl.

Add one teaspoon of baking powder to 225g (8oz) white flour, sift into the mail bowl of ingredients

Mix well.

Bake in muffin or cake tins at 180 degrees Celsius (350F) for 20 mins or until brown and skewer comes out clean.

Deliver to those who need help with your intranet :-)

How do you incentivize participation in your work with Intranets ?

DorjeM

Comments

Dorje McKinnon said…
Thanks Rachel - You're quite right, I really shouldn't try to cook and type at the same time. At least the banana cake muffins I made on the weekend came out well, shame about my blog post ;-)

Many thanks

DorjeM

Popular posts from this blog

Role Title on profiles

Today one of the people I follow on Twitter asked the following question. @ChristySeason Asking all #intranet tweeps: Does your company publish employees' titles on your employee directory/look up/phone book? In following Intranets Live I've been lucky enough to see some great intranets. As such I was able to reply to Christy with the following Nokia do Deloitte do (see the end of the post) Christy's question also prompted me to document my own intranet's profile page. The following image is from the view other's get of my profile. When I look at my profile I see every item that is recorded. I'll save you from that, another post perhaps, if you're interested. DorjeM PS a couple of Vendors I've been reminded of, thanks Crhis and Carolyn, also have screen shots of their profile pages on the web: ThoughtFarmer - intranet software - slideshow of screen shots and Intranet connections - software solution
To setup rails on IIS and enable it for multiple Applications. START Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 IIS 6 RUBY Install ruby 185_22_rc2.exe You don't have to put it in c:\ruby I created the following folder c:\webdata\ruby, then ran the install. Run install into c:\webdata and say "YES" to deleting the existing ruby directory. During the install I ticked SciTE and Enable RubyGems Took 10mins 1000s of files Ruby GEMS Install Ruby Gems 0.9.1 (don't change it from the defaults) Extract zip file to temp directory, then double click setup.rb, does the default install (about 5mins) Then run at the command line gem pristine --all c:\> gem pristine --all I tried to install Ruby Gems in a particular directory, but couldn't get it working because if you use the command line SET command to put a value into GEM_HOME when the ruby gems installer setup.rb reads the registry it doesn't account for the fact that values in the registry contain double b

Yammer and puddles

Recently I was asked " What are the top 10 points you think are important to get across to staff at all levels in an organisation about Yammer? " My initial reaction was "Tough ask", mainly because I've seen great write ups on what organisations get out of Yammer but very few that talk directly to the user benefits. Many articles give the usual cop out "users can't see the point, until they get it" I admit I was in that boat when I started using Twitter, a public micro blogging platform. But just like they said "once I used it I got it". What they didn't say was that it took a while and it suits certain people better than others. So as with all things in the social media space, be aware that culture change not the technology may be your biggest challenge. So what does Yammer, a microblogging platform for organisational use , do for real employees that is compelling enough for them to spend the time to "Get it" ? First off Y